A stranger looks back from the mirror. I am dressed. Dressed for a date. No am not unrecognisable.
Why am I hyperventilating?
Well cause I am dressed and I want an opinion. Yeah I have a roommate who is telling me that i look simple and only a tad better version of myself. But I don’t believe her. I think she only wants to get back to “Call of Duty”. Am ruining her weekend plan.
Am also hyperventilating cause this date is orchestrated by my and the guy’s parents. I have dodged it too long and now I have to face the date or the music. So now am dating in the music.(Got it? Forget it)
I didn’t want to dress. I wouldn’t have. But “Thanks to Acton and Jan Koum” my Mum will know that I did or not, that too instantly. And I don’t want that in my hair after having to go for the meet anyway. So I dressed up.
No I don’t have any problem talking to guys. I have a ton of friends(literally, I guess a few of them weigh a ton). And also I am not scared of a relationship. I have been in one. My version of it. I had fun. We both had. We wanted it to work. It didn’t.
Am scared of being judged. Especially after having dressed up. What if he calls my parents up and says I am “NOT GOOD ENOUGH”. The three words that got me going through my entire childhood and part of adulthood too. I don’t want to be judged.
While I am ransacking the entire apartment looking for my inhaler, my roomie is reading me out
“Reasons to date a geek..” Trying to perk me. Her version. It’d work either way. Make me feel good about myself. Or if he is one. Then on why should I date him.
1. So they have the skills to blow Your mind. You know, with facts.
Useless ones, I remind her, sometimes. I mean of what use is the fact that the little Dot over the ‘i’ is called a title? Yeah. None.
Or the end of a shoe lace is called an Aglet? Again, None.
2. They are aware of their surroundings. More vigilant and responsive. They are more likely to know a technical hack or say, how to work out a bug?
Yeah but then see..like me they’d be socially handicapped. But that’d be cute eh? Them struggling everyday. You’ll get to correct an accepted smart person almost every day. Perk. Definitely a perk.
3. There is no chance of them straying. They would have never afforded a girl at a time properly, forget cheating on her and blowing off their chance.
Ok am melting. A title..umm little.
4. You’d mean the world to them. Not because they couldn’t find another. Cause they know the value of hard work cause they are smart and value the value of the work put into a relationship. Enough to not throw it away.
It’ll be cute to watch them try to make You jealous but making half-hearted attempts at flirting. And failing miserably.
Am almost there. I have my inhaler in my hand. Without the need to use it.
5. They’ll be Your friends. A friend. Who would quote bad ass quotes from all the super cool movies. And You’d be screaming out in an alien language and emotion and expected to be understood.
I wear my clinky-clanky sandals(the heels make a lot of noise). And leave.
Hail a cab for Coffee on Canvas. Arrive. On time. And so does he. An average heighted guy with a subtle hint of a beard. In jeans and T-shirt. Looking casual and nervous. We both shake hands and take a seat, each.